Cedar Planked Grouper and Shrimp Fundido
Since planks are made of wood they will catch fire. Please use caution and follow these tips when planking. Always use water soaked planks before grilling. Use untreated western red cedar planks. Have a fire extinguisher at the ready. Never leave your grill when planking. Periodically check that the plank is not on fire. In the event of flames, reduce burner temperature, open lid, douse the fire with a squeeze bottle of water, close lid and continue planking. Be aware of the wind direction when planking. Never open grill lid into the wind. Stand with your back to the wind when opening the grill to avoid the smoke from getting in your eyes. Do not use planks more than once. Allow planks to fully cool before discarding. Use a large bucket of cold water to cool the planks after cooking.
|1 small||red onion, diced|
|½||red pepper, diced|
|2||jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped|
|1||bird chili, finely chopped|
|2||green onions, chopped|
|¼ cup||chopped fresh cilantro|
|¼ cup||King of the Q Outstanding Barbecue Sauce or your favorite gourmet style barbecue sauce|
|8||12-15 count shrimps, peeled and deveined, tails on|
|2 x 6-8 oz||grouper filets|
|2 tbsp.||King of the Q Cajun Seasoning or your favorite Cajun seasoning|
|2 cups||shredded queso fresco or Mozzarella cheese|
|8||corn flour tortillas|
|1||1-inch thick x 12-inch long x 8-10 inches wide untreated cedar plank, soaked in cold water for at least 1 hour|
- Preheat grill to high (about 500°F).
- Season grouper filets with Cajun seasoning, gently pressing the seasoning into the fish to adhere. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine onion, red pepper, jalapeno peppers, bird chili, green onion and cilantro. Add barbecue sauce and mix well to combine. Add shrimp and toss to coat.
- Divide onion and pepper mixture in half and crust the grouper filets on the topside evenly with the onion and pepper mixture, ensuring that each grouper filet is topped with 4 shrimp.
- Place the plank in the barbecue and let it bake for 2-3 minutes until the wood begins to crackle and smoke.
- Carefully open lid and place crusted grouper filets on plank. Close lid and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until cooked to medium. Remember, there is no need to turn the grouper.
- Carefully open lid, turn heat down to low and top each grouper filet with shredded cheese. Grill- bake for 2 to 3 minutes until cheese is just melted and all is ooey gooey and delicious.
- While the cheese melts, grill corn flour tortillas, turning once until lightly charred and crisp about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove corn flour tortillas from grill.
- Remove Cedar Planked Grouper and Shrimp Fundido from grill and serve with grill toasted corn flour tortillas.